lettuce seed

cassieinmass(6)June 9, 2009

I am growing Flashy Trouts back lettuce, which is a heirloom (I believe) and I want to let it go to seed so I can harvest more seeds for next year. I am growing a ton of different varieties of lettuce, but really only want to keep just this variety. If I only allowed this to bloom and made sure the other ones dont, how true to form would this seed be? I cant find info on this form anwsering this question. Thanks! -cassie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

If its not a hybrid and you dont let the others varietys bloom sounds like you have a good chance. I would run a trial period just to make sure though. Also I would try to encourage pollination. Heres a link that may explain how to pollinate your own plants. Enjoy and good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Saving

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 9:57PM
remy_gw

Hi,
You'll have no problem with saving seed from your lettuce. Lettuce is self-pollinating. Lettuce also has a low crossing rate because the flowers are only open for a short period of time, only part of a day. So unless you have 2 lettuce blooming at the exact same time and have an insect visiting at that time, you do not have to worry.
Remy

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 10:15PM
cassieinmass(6)

Awesome!!!! Thanks guys!!!!!

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?
I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my...
pansyloverandgrower
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™