some rather pleasant surprises

the_bustopher z6 MOJuly 12, 2009

We had a severe thunderstorm this morning that packed some wind and a little over an inch of rain. After the temper tantrum was over, and I looked around, I was greeted by a few that managed to weather the storm quite well. This first picture is one of my favorite floribundas that came as a band from Vintage, Lili Marleen. My camera just cannot quite get the color right, but it sure does well even as a small plant. My big one does just fine.

The next two are the new hybrid tea rose Malibu from J&P. It has a nice color, and has begun to show some quality flowers even in our stifling heat and humidity.

I also have seen that honeybees like my sweet basil flowers, I finally got one second bloom on John Hopper and Marbree and some repeat buds forming on my Duchesse de Rohan. Maybe I won't have to think about getting rid of them for not reblooming. Blanc de Vibert is another matter. I am also getting some nice tomatoes and peppers coming in also. I hope you like the pictures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katefisher(Z7_NorthernCA)

Lili Marleen is just amazing. I really enjoyed that a lot. Glad to hear things are going well in your garden and thanks for sharing those.

Kate

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 9:32PM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Glad your roses and other plants weathered the storm ok. Nice pics!

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 10:33PM
serenasyh(was 5/now Z 8-Kans)

Nice pics and lovely rose plants, bustopher! You're in Kansas City just like me..., I love the overcast cool days and the rain because it makes my roses not get roasted into puffball/cabbage patch shapes, and I can finally get the classical hybrid tea form...

We too got pelted in Kansas City Overland Park with huge winds and thunderstorm. I was shocked to find out that my crazy large tomato cages on their spindly legs were not blown over on my patio, with nothing tied to them to anchor them down, just the young climbing roses, LOL! looks like the gaps between the patio were enough to keep them in place. I was so relieved....

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 4:14PM
kathy9norcal

Wonderful photos. Looks like you live by a forest--lucky you. Lili Marlene is a great rose. Malibu, too.
Kathy

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 1:42PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Malibou looks sensational!! I don't have a quilled rose, and I've never seen a quilled that color before. Plus as an added bonus it has darker edges!! Does it have scent? That's a rose that I would like to have!!!

Carol

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 6:34PM
the_bustopher z6 MO

I do not notice a strong scent from Malibu. I will have to see what it is like when the weather is not too hot. As for quilling, this rose reminds me a bit of another orange hybrid tea that was a former AARS winner known as Command Performance. It is on the hard-to-find side, but it was a solid orange rather than blended, and it quilled its petals also. It also bloomed in candelabra form more of what one would expect of a grandiflora. It was a nice rose also.

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 9:36PM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

The color (not the shape) reminds me of an orange Elizabeth Taylor. ET has the same shading on the rims of the petals.

Carol

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Roses "O"
Time for the O's..... ODESSA mini OKLAHOMA OKSANA OLDCASTLE OLD...
bethnorcal9
Roses that need support--ideas
I had some leftover pieces of materials that we are...
kathy9norcal
Received my clippings today of Peach Silk!!
I have tried to reply in Judiths original thread about...
Prettypetals_GA_7-8
Wheee!! February roses for Las Vegas
the roses that went in late spring last year are now...
lorrihz
Name that Rose Game! Part 2
Here goes. Thanks Sara for suggesting we keep this...
kublakan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™