Salvia transsylvanica - multiple personalities?

ramazz(8a VA)July 4, 2007

I posted pictures of these plants before and both were identified as salvia transsylvanica. The flowers and the leaves are pretty much the same, but one is upright and one sprawls. I only have one of the upright variety (which I think is nicer) and way too many of the sprawling ones. Are they the same plant and can I train the sprawling ones to grow upright? Or are they different?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youreit

Betsy Clebsch describes it as lax and reports that "it almost crawls along the ground." From the pic in her book, it appears that that some stems may remain upright (center stem), but the 2 on either side are obviously leaning, or lax.

I think your upright one might indeed be the exception to the rule.

Brenda

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 10:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ramazz(8a VA)

Brenda:

Thank you! I don't have Betsy's book, but I have looked at it (I work in a library and got it through interlibrary loan). So this is why I thought that the upright plant was actually a different salvia. I have several of the sprawling transsylvanicas and so far only one upright one in bloom. But I have several plants that are getting ready to bloom and the foliage looks similar. I planted a lot of perennial salvias and don't know which ones will bloom the first year and which will not. But I did not plant that many transsylvanicas, unless some of the seeds were mislabeled.

Any thoughts on what the upright one could be if it is not transsylvanica?

Becky

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™