coreopsis deadheading and self sow seeding

parissianJune 6, 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and found it great help. I have additional questions, though.

I have approx. 50 Jethro Tull coreopsis. Many places say that these coreopsis self sow but bloom is extended if deadheaded..

so here's my question;

1. I've been taking shears and cutting off the "dead" blooms but I leave them on the ground..not picking them up...will it allow for "self-sowing"?

The reason why i just leave it is becasue there's just so many plants and blooms to go around picking up the dead blooms on the bed.

2. If it does'st allow for self-sowing, how do it get the plants to self-sow for next spring..do i just leave the dead blooms on throughout the winter and they'll just self seed and multiple themselves in the spring? I would believe it looks "ugly" or deers will eat the vegetation anywayin the winter..no?

Thanks so much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhubb(5)

im not a huge fan of just allowing the plant to reseed, only in areas to large to worry about. REally if you have a flower bed that you think looks ugle when they dead head, just allow one plant to dead head. One whole plant should be plenty of seed to replace your the complete bed. You will know when the seeds are ready, they will start to fall out,(couple weeks after the flower dries up) but if you cant tell, or dont have time to check, once it gets close meaning the flowers have dried up, cut a small slit in a paper bag and put it over the plant, so it goes over the plant, but just straight up, dont close it over it, when the seeds are ready they will fall in the paper bag, then you can plant them in the fall were you want them to come up in the spring

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
Wanted: Paulownia seeds
Topic title says it all. I do have a lot of stuff to...
rozenkruetz
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
Sponsored Products
Roses Tiffany Two Light Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™