Raising species tulips from seed?

steve22802(7a VA)June 5, 2006

Hi all,

I just collected a bunch of seed from my two clumps of Tulipa clusiana and I'd like to try raising a whole bunch of these from seed. Does anyone know any details about the process or can you point me to a web site with info? Like, do they need cold stratification? Do they need light for germination? How long should it take before the seeds germinate? How long to flower?

Thanks for any help,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magus(8a BC)

The instructions I have from the seed packets I bought were to give them a cold period (I don't think a prior warm period is needed), then slowly raise the temperature after about three months of cold (alas I haven't had time to start those seeds yet). A quick increase in temperature seems to be harmful. I don't remember a light requirement at all. If I remember correctly, they will start germinating in the cold (roots only), but you will not see leaves until they move into warmth. They will flower in about three or four years. There are instructions here and there on the web, but I can't remember where they are, and my hard drive with the links had died. :( Sorry about that, but I hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™