Black and Blue Salvia not blooming

margie5(z5 NY)July 1, 2012

I have a Black and Blue Salvia that I overwintered in a pot in the garage. I divided it and planted out a large portion in a large pot in full sun with some other annuals (just like I did last summer). Got lots of beautiful blooms last summer, but this summer, it's making the bloom spikes, but no flowers are coming. The leaves look lush and happy. What's up with this? I love these flowers and I really want to see them with the other annuals I planted. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

An image of the non-blooming spikes might help. If the calyxes develop and persist, they should bloom.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 12:07AM
basil108

My zone 8b black & blues just started blooming this week (two whole blossoms so far out of three plants), so they can be slow sometimes....

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 12:13PM
hummersteve

I have a similar situation with a b and b I overwintered in the garage has lots of spikes but maybe only 4 or 5 blooms. I have a third year plant right beside it that has lots of blooms but this intense heat is definitely affecting them. Im not worried about them though when this heat lets up next week they should do better.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 6:49PM
Edie(5 NY (Finger Lakes))

Glad it's not just me. I overwintered two in the garage and they are now filling a 22" pot, but no blooms. I thought I must have done something wrong. Yesterday I finally saw a tiny bud that wasn't another pair of leaves - the first flower buds of the season.

Local nurseries sold B&B cuttings already blooming in May. Does anyone know what triggers or prevents flowering in this one?

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
I need plants ofb Salvia Apiana.
I left my place in California and have had no luck...
Designed Excellence
help identify this plant please!!!
Hi fellow garden enthusiasts! Can anyone help me identify...
sabine77
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™