Collectiing seeds Can I plant them right away?

mary_maxJune 11, 2006

Today I collected some gaillardia tokajer seeds. Can I go ahead and plant them right away, or do they need to sit for a week or so. They seem pretty dried up. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcd_1

you shoulkd let them sit out and dry if they are wet. If not wet u can put them away

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 3:13PM
Amino_X(z7b AR)

I'm not familiar with the variety, but some seeds, such as alpine strawberry, need cold treatement to be viable.

If you can't find any information on the internet you can experiment. Divide some of your seeds into 3 piles.

Plant pile 1 right away nd see if they germinate,

THOUROUGHLY dry piles 2 and 3.

Put pile 2 in the freezer and put pile 3 in the refrigerator, then after about 2 or 3 weeks take them out of the fridge and freezer, let them sit on the counter overnight to bring them back up to room temperature, plant them and see what germinates.

WARNING! - Be sure to dry them very well before cold treating!!

Make sure the moisture content is as close to zero as possible before putting seed in the freezer or you'll destroy them!

Best Wishes
Amino-X

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 12:14PM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

Plant them. This is a good time to summer sow using the winter sowing methods. I have grown gaillardia that way and they germinate just beautifully!

Remember, if the plant is releasing the seeds, ma nature is planting. If she's planting, why can't you? Once you have sprouts, I would consider transplanting them to 4 inch pots and then planting your plants out when it's overcast. Gaillardia love dry heat, but they need to be watered in and watched for the first few weeks.

Have fun!

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 2:02PM
mary_max

Well I sowed the seeds and they sprouted. I have now planted them out in the garden and hopefully they will do their thing real soon. This is so cool!! Thanks for all the great advice.

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Wanted: Paulownia seeds
Topic title says it all. I do have a lot of stuff to...
rozenkruetz
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™