S. hallii flowering

hermine(S. CA)August 25, 2012

My camera is croaking and this is not a good picture, but it is part of a series I took almost daily as the plant was in flower. Apologies for quality of photo.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Solar_Storm(24 CA)

I love sans flowers, especially capitate racemes like this. It looks like the inflorescence stem is pretty short on hallii - maybe 3-5 inches. Do you find this is a particularly slow growing species?

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 1:24PM
hermine(S. CA)

Slow growing is not the words for it! it took 20 years to get to be from a tiny plant pictured in my book to this thing which is on page 55 center bottom, which is in like a 2 and 1/2" pot in 1982. So I would say it is HORRIBLY SLOW! By the way this book is free, you can download it from here and print it out....http://www.scribd.com/doc/50450293/Stover-Hermine-The-Sansevieria-Book
and you can just print it out for free. Names in it have been changed since then. Will continue to change.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 2:15PM
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Hermine,
I finally get to say hello and a very big thank you. You have helped me so much I can say I love you. I just enjoyed your book. I know it is outdated but for most of us getting started it is right on target. I have got to know many of your friends here and they are just wonderful also.
Nice sans BTW. I know little about them mine are mostly trifasciata, but learning every day. I know seeds are a life time project so I am not concerning myself with seeds. I hope some young people here can get some and start out the process.
Your biggest fan,
Stush

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 3:28PM
hermine(S. CA)

Thanks for kind words. My Book was out of date the minute it hit the streets, and it quoted sources which although quite old, were themselves outdated. Such is the history of all taxonomy, or so it seems. No sooner is the ink dry, the work is out of date. I would not give up on seeds! Indeed not. But then again I am still planting Palm seeds, which can take well over a year to germinate and are not exactly speed demons after germination. And I would NEVER give up on trifasciata, a plant which never fails to delight me with its countless variants. Promise yourself you will never walk past them in the shop without looking through them for that special ONE. You never know!

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:33PM
Michaela(z6+ TN)

The thing I found interesting in Hermine's picture is that there appears to be no stalk on the flower head. It looks like the flowers are emerging from the soil line! Cool.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 11:26PM
norma_2006

The flowers on each species, all of the bat varieties, will be slightly different. Some actually sit on the soil, others 4"-to 8" stems I wish I wrote this down, I just didn't think it was important at the time. These are things the professionals don't tell us. Hermine's student. Her book is terrific, most of the names are the same especailly on all old species. Norma Lewis. I just found out that S. stuckyi will also be that way. My camera is fixed, I'll send it to Hermine and she will post it for me I hope. Norma Lewis

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 3:19AM
More Discussions
My recurring problem with sansevierias
I've grown a host of succulents for about 30 years....
fungshengwuchi
new snake plant- total beginner in need of tips!
Hi everyone, So glad I found this forum. I've been...
k8lizzy
My list of Sansevieria
List of my Sansevieria;Sansevieria trifasciata Small...
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
How much does a sans grow in a year?
I recently got 2 of these and was wondering how much...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Adorable PE Material LED Mobile Lamp in Magic Cube Shape
ParrotUncle
Mia Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture with Halva Glass
$391.50 | Bellacor
Almond LED Step Light Non Dimmable
$56.00 | PLFixtures
David Bromstad "Flowers in a Jar" Artwork V
Grandin Road
Laminate 'Live,Love,Laugh' Inspirational Wall Shelves (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Peach Ceramic Vase
$27.99 | zulily
Granite Peak Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Red 20" Wheeled Duffel
$199.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™