Salva greggii wild thing zone 5

mori1(5b/6a)July 21, 2008

I live in Kansas zone 5 and I bought a wild thing autumn sage. It says it zone 5, I google it to get more info. Several sites list it with a ? for zone 5. Does anyone in zone 5 have any experience with this plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

If your climate is like that of High Country Garden's, you should be fine. Mine is suffering in our hot, humid summer in North Carolina.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 11:48PM
mori1(5b/6a)

Kansas summers can be combine of both. Its can be dry or humid. Yesterday it was 100 and dry. Today it was 96 and slightly humid. Its not the heat that concerns me but are winters. It can get as low as -15 or -20 though are last couple of winters have been mild, no lower then -10.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 4:23AM
wardda

There is little doubt in my mind that the cultivar is extremely hardy. In past several years I've grown it in several gardens in zone 6b and 7a. It is one of the greggii that doesn't die to the ground. This last winter a truck drove over a dozen of them in January and despite the abuse all but one of the plants recovered. If yours are growing in a really dry site you might consider planting very deep. The buried stems should root at various levels underground and that might increase the chances of something surviving. If it survives the winter I'd love to hear about it.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 8:38AM
mori1(5b/6a)

I haven't planted it yet due to the excessive heat but I plan to plant it around several other salvia, may night, russian sage and snow hill. I had rose queen and purple valcano but they died, I think I over watered. I will watch how deep I plant it. Thanks

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 6:54PM
coolguytoo

can somebody tell me on how to take care the Salvia divinorum? tnx!

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 2:59PM
coolguytoo

I want to know the different kind of salvia divinorum? tnx!

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 3:05PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

coolguytoo:

Visit Daniel Siebert's sagewisdom.org site for all questions about Salvia divinorum

Here is a link that might be useful: The Salvia divinorum Research and Information Center

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen77
S. clevelandii - Some leaves longer than others
I got a Salvia clevelandii (possibly a hybrid) about...
JohnCox
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™