I give up...

lindakimyJuly 27, 2006

I have looked all over and cannot find this salvia. I think it is an annual and it is probably common as corn. I got it from my friendly plant guy down at the local garden center (Bloomin Crazy) in our little village. He was about to Round Up a bunch of seedlings that had self started around his display tables and instead he pulled them up (unceremoniously) and sent them home with me (FREE!!!) in a plastic bag. So. I have a huge bunch of baby salvias that I have no idea what they are!

The one in question (sorry I do not have a photo) has fairly large leaves that are very wide at the stem and pointy - kinda heart shape or triangular. The flowers are two-tone. The top part is white and the bottom is a pale, delicate pink. Any ideas what this is? Are there going to be seeds? How and when do I gather them so I can wintersow and have more next year? (Can you tell I am really new at this?) There are a few of these that are bright red...but the leaves look exactly the same as the white and pink ones.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Sounds like Salvia coccinea bicolor to me. It is the right time of year for a heavy seed set, then germination.

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 12:23AM
bossjim1

If your salvia looks like this, it is S.coccinea "Coral Nymph". If it is, I wouldn't bother with collecting seed. It will reseed itself prolificly, then in the spring you can dig all the seedlings you want and transplant where ever you want. This goes for all the salvia coccineas.

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 10:04AM
lindakimy

That sure looks like it! Thanks! It would be lovely to have some dependable repeaters.

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 1:36PM
Msrpaul(8bSC)

Nice garden pic bossjim

Bookmark   August 6, 2006 at 9:19PM
beanhead

Beautiful plants bossjim1! Can I get some seed!? I have a red variety of S.coccinea. Would like to get a nice 'Coral Nymph'. It seems to be the only Salvia I am capable of growing with any success.

Bookmark   August 6, 2006 at 10:22PM
bossjim1

Beadhead, I've never gathered the seeds, but could I guess. They come up everywhere. Send me a e-mail with your address and I'll send you some.
Jim

Bookmark   August 6, 2006 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen77
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
help identify this plant please!!!
Hi fellow garden enthusiasts! Can anyone help me identify...
sabine77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™