Asking if you could collect seeds from a neighbor

benjoe(7)June 22, 2009

What would be an appropriate way to approach a neighbor and ask them if you could collect seeds from there trees/bushes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

LOL, I laugh cause I plan to do this when my neighbors seeds are ready. She has blue wild indigo and I so love that plant in or out of bloom. Also she has so many different daylillies if I figured they would be true I would hit her for those also.

I started my process last week on the edge of asking. I got a wonderful set of seeds in a sase and I took her some of the seeds of this flower she was tickled pink. I was just tickled I had something she didnt have already, her gardens are wonderful she is my inspiration.

I will catch her outside one day and I will say Mrs. Peggy (thats her first name) I absolutely loveeeee your blue wild indigo,(knowing her she probaly dont even know the name of it) would there be a chance that I could take some of the seeds so I may take a shot in growing my own. Knowing this little angel she will say well sure hun, but if you come back in spring I will just get you a clump. I love this woman I swear!! I will still get a few seeds and I always tell her I am coming back in spring but I never do. Its a shame all neighbors arent as great as Mrs. Peggy!!

P.S The malva zebrina, Poppy Papaver laciniata, and the Pink hollyhock I have were started from seed from Mrs. Peggy's garden I think 2 or 3 years back.

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 11:30PM
remy_gw

Benjoe,
Just be polite. Like Carolyn said above, tell them how much you admire the plant, and ask if you could get some seed. Most gardeners are happy to share. They will either offer you some of the seed or some of the plant if they have enough. I'm always happy to give starts of plants away. I've never been asked for seed, but I of course I would give some.
Remy

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 1:26PM
ppod(6 SE NY)

I was looking for pics of blue wild indigo and found this site, which you too probably would enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecticut Botanical Society

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 10:25PM
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

Blue wild indigo, Baptisia australis is an awesome plant isnt it. The foliage is even nice I cant even explain it to do it justice and the pictures surely dont do it justice. Heres another link that I found that shows just a little more of the plant and the pods. Just remember this picture still does not do it justice in the least.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Wild Indigo

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™