Salvia Iodantha Furry Flower

annette68_gwAugust 23, 2007

I grew some iodantha from seed and the result was a two toned pink furry flowers. I am not complaining, happy with the result, guessing that it must off crossed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Iodantha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

The flowers in the photo look pretty normal to me for iodantha. Are you comparing them to others you have? The foliage looks most like that of the Huntington form.

The Huntington form is different in having a peloric terminal flower, which is symmetric (five petals at the end of a tube without a hood or lower lips). These flowers are often found at the end of a determinate flower spike. The deep purple flower in the middle of a wild carrot flower head is probably another example.

The flower form is campanulate. The mint family is related to the Campanulaceae (bellflower family) at the subclass or superorder level (take your pick of whose system you want to follow)

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 8:32AM
youreit

That is gorgeous!

Brenda

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 12:21PM
annette68_gw

Well Richard that may be the normal iodantha there but it isnt here, this is the normal iodantha.It is not a furry flower at all.

Cheers A.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Iodantha normal

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 5:12PM
robinmi_gw

Oh dear!

Your normal iodantha looks like my purpurea!!! Always thought that there was a muddle with these, as there are many differing forms of each.....and numerous hybrids!

Robin.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 6:56PM
annette68_gw

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Robin my purpurea is purple,do you think my purpurea may be muddled as well:)

A.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Purpurea

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 7:19PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

A dead giveaway for Salvia purpurea (of at least one form) is the gray farina covering the calyxes. The width to length ratio of the leaves is bigger generally with purpurea from most iodantha forms.

The bronze blush on the growing tops of new foliage and degree of purplish pigment on the under side of the leaves is also useful for separating the various forms of purpurea and iodantha (might as well toss in littae as well, which has both furry flowers and calyxes).

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
help identify this plant please!!!
Hi fellow garden enthusiasts! Can anyone help me identify...
sabine77
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™