sunflower seeds

Hollywog(z7soIL)July 10, 2005

While I was checking out my flowers today, I noticed some small sunflower seeds on the leaves of one of my malva zebrina plants. They had obviously fallen from one of the sunflowers high above them, but I can't seem to figure out which sunflower they came from so that I can collect more. None of them look completely dried out, and none of them seemed to be missing seeds. Is it possible for the seeds of the same bloom to be maturing at different rates? I just can't understand where they fell from. It doesn't help that the blooms are way over my head and difficult to inspect. Can anyone tell me what to look for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silybum(Sunset 16/z8b)

I wouldn't worry too much about collecting the seeds as they fall, you will have plenty left in the fall! I just save the entire head, in a brown bag. But be sure and keep it stored in a dry location, so they don't get moldy over the winter. I have also just scattered seeds in the fall, and they sprout like weeds in the spring, and they transplant very easily.

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 3:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulbs(z6 PA)

I've got a feeling a bird dropped a couple seeds for you. But I've never collected sunflower seeds. Last year left them for the birds, and apparently they left me plenty, cause this spring had many re-seeded sprouts that I hadn't expected, but didn't mind having at all! Now 2 beautiful blooms and lots more about to open.

Have fun!

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™