French hollyhocks

AileenEdwordJuly 5, 2011

I decided to try starting my own seeds. I do this every couple of years, and then wish I hadn�t because it�s alot of work and I never get great results

Of the all seeds, I have one successful plant. It is a French Hollyhock and I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has had success with this plant. I know that it takes two years before it will bloom, and I am wondering if mine has a chance for survival. It sort of limped along all summer, but has really taken off in the cooler fall months. It�s now about 24 inches high. Can anyone tell me in what kinds of conditions they have had luck with this plant. Does it bloom in the cooler spring months?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

French Hollyhocks(Malva sylvestris) grow best in full sun. They bloom all summer here and into fall. So they bloom while it is fairly warm. Maybe in really hot areas the bloom time is different. I'm not sure where you heard they take 2 years to bloom. They can bloom the first year if they get growing soon enough, and if they don't, they will bloom the following season.
Remy.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?
I already posted the following to the vegetable forum,...
cousinfloyd
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
Sponsored Products
Esperanza French Gold Nine-Light 22-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Smithsonian Olive 5 ft. x 8
Home Depot
Porcelain Pineapple Chalice
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
GG Collection Decorative Set of 6 Metal Pushpins
Classic Hostess
25 French-Blue-Bordered Notes with Personalized Envelopes
$60.00 | Horchow
Jullien Wood Sideboard
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™