Growing in pots

jderosa(z6 NJ)September 10, 2003

I'm sure that most members here are growing thir Sans. in pots, as I must in Zone 6 (New Jersey). I've been wondering about the proper pot size to use. I know that my S. trifasciata and laurentii can stay pretty crowded in an azalea pot, but some of my plants get pretty heavy rhizomes, and seem to want to spread out a little bit more (like my S. masoniana in a 10" pot with 15 leaves, or S. cylindica, or even S. hallii). I've always been heasitant to put sans in very large pots because I am afraid of watering problems - especially in the winter. I also really don't want to divide them, as I am just starting to get mature growth patterns on some of these plants, and I think dividing them will keep them juvinile.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Joe DeRosa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Russ_Hammer

Hi Joe. Nothing wrong with repotting your Sans to bigger pots, just don't overdo. Going to a pot a couple inches
larger is fine, will keep you from having to divide, and
will keep them growing. If you're concerned about repotting
with winter coming on where you are, wait til spring. But
if you keep them on the dry side, repotting now is probably
OK.

Russ
Central Fla

Bookmark   September 11, 2003 at 1:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloeasha

also if you are worried about overwatering i'd stick with plain, unglazed terra cotta to ensure you have a lot of evaporation going on! I have found that hahnii does well in a 6" pot and will fill it in nicely but in the smaller pots it does seem to act like it wants a lot more room.

Bookmark   September 17, 2003 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
snake plant in low light
anyone have any luck growing a snake plant in low light?...
jay83
Help
What's wrong with my sansevieria? Can I do anything...
savana3
My list of Sansevieria
List of my Sansevieria;Sansevieria trifasciata Small...
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
What a difference a little heat makes
just thought I'd share this. In cool, gloomy Oregon,...
kwie2011
New Sans
I bought a new snake plant today, and while I'm familiar...
Twobedroom_jungle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™