Salvia flocculosa (or 'Rio Bamba')

jenn(SoCal 9/19)August 23, 2011

I have a Salvia labeled 'Rio Bamba' that I bought at the Fullerton Arboretum a few years ago. I posted about it in this forum and Robin suggested it looks like Salvia flocculosa, and indeed her photo looks just like mine.

Mine is growing well in a spot that gets sun until about 1:00, then bright shade with a tiny bit of late afternoon sun, and seems quite happy. Growth is lax (which I like) and I suspect would be more compact with all-day sun.

I found a few seedlings of it here and there which I potted up. I would like to put one of them on the west side of the patio where it will get hot afternoon sun and a little morning sun. I'm hoping for the same open graceful lax growth there.

Does anyone know how much sun this plant prefers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

I have one plant bought as salvia flocculosa and another bought at Fullerton as 'Rio Bamba'. Robin said it looked like flocculosa and I'm sure he was right. Both of mine are identical. In fact, I have 'Ecuador Blue' also, which looks the same to me. They are all planted in full sun and growth is lax. I suspect I will have to do more cutting back to make the growth more compact if that's what I want. The 'flocculosa' is in a large pot and I like the lax growth in that situation. The 'Rio Bamba' is in the ground and in that spot I would like more compact growth, so it will be cut back.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 10:25PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thank you; it sounds like growth tends to be lax, which I happen to like in this particular plant. It has a very graceful appearance. Bees love it.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 9:25AM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

I feel the same about quite a few different plants. I like them to be wispy and graceful rather than stocky and compact...salvia Waverly, a double flowered blue Rose of Sharon, etc....

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 10:45AM
robinmi_gw

This year I received seeds of Salvia 'Curtis Blue', lovely plant, sure it is Salvia flocculosa. Seems to like the English climate.

By the way, JENN, Robin is a boy's name in the UK!!!

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 12:59PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Robin: My sincere apologies. I know Robin can be male (UK) or female (US) but thought I'd seen "her" and "she" in reference to you, but apparently not (unless that other person made the same erroneous assumption).

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 9:28AM
robinmi_gw

Jenn: Absolutely no problem! Though never forgave my parents for giving me that name!

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 12:32PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I hope to try Salvia flocculosa here in the Southeastern US as bee forage.

It could be formidable if it blooms from late spring thru autumn, when nectar flows stop with tulip poplar and resume in the autumn with New England aster.

The lack of a nectar source during hot summer months contributes to colony collapse.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™