What type of sans do I have?

amany(MI / 6)September 16, 2007

Hi.

I've had this sans for 5 months. I don't know what it is. Can anyone help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flicker(z8b LA)

Sansevierias are not at all easy to ID. My guess would be parva. Go to www.wedshots.com and search sansevieria. Look at the jillions of sans pics on here. It MIGHT help.
What is it growing in? ANY soil?
Johanna

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 7:59PM
amany(MI / 6)

Hi Flicker!

I've been looking at the pictures on webshots and flickr.com on and off. I was hoping someone would know and I'd find out quicker. :-) I will keep looking though. Thanks.

It's growing in hydroton (clay pellets). I've been growing all my plants that way for about two months. Most in see through containers. Once they dry out completely, I add about an inch or so of water to the bottom. Below the roots. I let my sans and other sux remain dry longer than the other plants before adding more water.

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 8:28PM
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

That was my first guess, but there are no stolen on top of the soil, so my second guess is S. dooneri because by the width of the leaves. These are guesses, I'm not good without measurements, feeling and seeing the plant. It is beautifulluy displayed. Norma

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 1:05AM
amany(MI / 6)

Thanks ladies. My sans looks a lot like both the plants you suggested. lol I don't have a good eye for identifying sans. The leaves are about an inch wide and 8 - 9 inches long.

I hope I get an offshoot from it eventually. I'd love to have two for extra insurance. It's hard to find anything other than the normal grocery store sans (laurenti?), sometimes birdsnests and moonshines. Moonshines are all over the place now. So I always appreciate being able to have something different. I also have a javanica and a subspicata that I cherish. I got them from the same person who gave me the mystery sans.

Thanks for the compliment Norma. I just put the sans in a taller and and slightly narrower glass. It was starting to get a bit tippy and needing more support.

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
What's wrong with my snake plant?
I've been excited to have a snake plant for a while...
Galleriagirl11
Sans2014
snake plant in low light
anyone have any luck growing a snake plant in low light?...
jay83
Sansevieria from seed
Does anyone know a good method to sprout Sansevieria...
foxwichya
new sans
Along with the orchid cactus I picked up this little...
bkempress
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™