how do I find the seeds on my vincas?

sheenahorneJuly 8, 2008

I have been searching the web all morning on how to harvest my plants for seeds and i can not find info on vinca seeds

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poisondartfrog

If you are referring to annual Vinca, Catharanthus roseus, you will find the seed pods along the stem under the current blossoms, similar to the way Cleome species form elongated seedpods if you have ever collected those.
The seeds are in slender, cigar shaped cylinders that start out green and turn brown and split to disperse black seeds. You may have to keep an eye out so that you can harvest as soon as they brown up. Otherwise the seedpods will split and you will miss the opportunity to collect the seeds. They reliably self sow in SE Kentucky.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 8:52AM
johnrmaples(7)

I have searched the web for this info. Finally, you gave me the answer. I sure would love some good photos of the seed pods to know what to look for.
Thanks!

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 1:04PM
wynnho

From what I remember, the pods show up fairly late in the season. These reseed in the black asphalt cracks at a nearby gov't bldg. how they survive and bloom in that heat, I'll never know.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™