Tiger Lily Seeds?

stage_rat(5--Indiana Riviera)July 28, 2006

I hope I'm not asking a recently-answered question--I did do a search! I'd like to collect the seeds from some tiger lilies (the upright, speckled kind, not the orange daylilies also called this)

The seeds are pretty obvious, and they seem to fall off when still plump, but should I wait until they're older and possibly wrinkled-looking (I'm trying to remember what they looked like last year)

Also, since they're not a dry seed, do they need to be planted fresh, or can they be stored for awhile, and traded?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardener_sandy

These bulbils (not seeds) that grow between the leaf and stem can be taken from the stem as soon as the flower has faded but it's my understanding that they shouldn't be allowed to dry out. Plant them about 1/2" to 1" deep in good potting soil as soon as you harvest them. They take 2 to 3 years to get to blooming size after planting. They will be clones of the mother plant, not crosses like you get with true seeds. If the soil under the lilies is good and not mulched too heavily, the bulbils that fall may take root and grow on their own. Just another marval of mother nature!

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 4:36PM
stage_rat(5--Indiana Riviera)

Thank you for the information! I would not want to save them for trading, now that I know they need to be fresh.

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 9:11PM
limequilla

Regarding the trade: Wouldn't it be possible to save the stem bulbils, well padded, in *barely* damp vermiculite in a ziploc and traded that way? The might throw a root or two or even a leaf inside the baggie, but that wouldn't hurt anything.

Definitely a bubble envelope, but I would think you'd get some takers on a trade.

Lime

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 3:46AM
More Discussions
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™