ID help needed

juneroses Z9a Cntrl FlAugust 19, 2009

Despite going through the very excellent pictures and descriptions available at both "A World of Salvias" and "Robins Salvias", I still can't ID the following two plants (maybe that's because they aren't salvias !?).

Plant #1 is about 4' tall with definite pink flowers. It seems to be a somewhat vase shaped plant but it is growing among other flowers so it may just be reaching for its share of the sun. The young stems are gray but have become woody on the more mature plant. The leaves are not smooth and tend toward an olivey green color. The picture of the plant with leaves is a recently propagated cutting, hence its small size. I can detect no particular smell to the leaves.

Plant #2 is below. It too is a rather tall plant - about 4' high - but has many more clumped stems from which it is growing. The small pale blue flowers are rather "lost" considering the size of the plant but maybe it's just finishing - or beginning - its main flowering burst. I forgot to check for any scent so can't comment on that aspect.

Thanks for sharing your input - June

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

The first sage is Salvia greggii x karwinskii `Riverside' and the second one appears to be S. uliginosa. This one will have a lot of stolons (runners).

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 1:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Thank you very much for the ID's.

The "Riverside" plant looks like it could be a winner for me; that the hummers like it is a bonus.

I think I'll just observe the uliginosa from afar for now. The specimen I saw certainly doesn't look as attactive as the gallery pictures, and my garden is small.

June

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Skin irritation from Mexican bush sage?
Whenever I prune our Mexican bush sage, I break out....
hollybegonia
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Sponsored Products
Besa 1SW-177918-SN Amber Matte Cloud Mia Wall Light - 1SW-177918-SN
$180.00 | Hayneedle
New Unique Eton Blue Oushak 8' X 10'' Hand Knotted Wool Turkish Floral Rug H5603
BH Sun Inc
Hughes Single Arm Sofa - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Ella Shower Units Deluxe 33-4/12 in. x 60 in. x 77-1/2 in. 5-Piece Barrier Free
Home Depot
Hampton Bay Flood Lights. 12V Low Voltage LED 8 Watt Cast Aluminum Flood Light B
$39.97 | Home Depot
Large Echeveria Set
$17.99 | zulily
Uttermost Becca Coffee Bronze Rings Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set (Set of 5)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™