Seeds from Manettia luteorubra, possible?

tishfromwis(z5 WI)July 13, 2009

I have a Manettia luteorubra and my sister-in-law would like some seeds from it. I searched and found that the only way to propagate is from leaf cuttings, woody stem cuttings and softwood cuttings. No seeds? She propagates all of the time, I never do. I would like to send her seeds if this can be done.

Thanks!

Tish

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Tish,
I know there was a discussion on here sometime ago about a tropical plant that has similar type flowers and not finding seeds. We concluded it possibly being two things and I think this would hold true of your plant.
One, the most probable cause of no seeds is the flowers are thin and tubular indicative of a specialized pollinator. So if it is some tropical bug or humming bird, you are not going to get fertilization. You can try hand pollination with a small paintbrush sticking it in all the flowers. If this produces no seed, then it might be possibility number 2.
This plant might need another plant for pollination. Some plants require a second plant to have successful pollination.
There is a third possibility when plants don't make seeds is that they are sterile. Being that the plant is not a named cultivar, I don't believe this is the case.
So give the paintbrush trick a try and see what happens.
Remy

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 11:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tishfromwis(z5 WI)

Hi Remy! Thank you so much for responding ! I'm sorry for the delay in my reponse, but I've been out sick. My sister-in-law likes the challenge and satisfaction of propagating, but this Manettia luteorubra will have to go unachieved :) Not worth it when the plant was only $5. Maybe she'll like some seeds from some of my other plants, she has plenty to choose from...

Tish

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Recently read about a ''caffeine soak'' to get seed to germinate.
I recently read about a mention of a ''caffeine soak''...
albert_135
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?
I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my...
pansyloverandgrower
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™