Sansevieria from seed

foxwichya(7b)September 20, 2007

Does anyone know a good method to sprout Sansevieria seeds? I had seven blooming at the same time this summer so i was crossing pollen around from different species. I ended up with close to 40 seeds. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I just took new** seed from the plant scratched them with a nail file and planted them with just a thin layer of something to keep them moist and dark.

**With many succulents I have found the new seed best. There are sure to be numerous exceptions.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 1:22PM
werrenes

Dear foxwichya,

Last autumn, I had been lucky that my Sansevieria parva has produced a single fruit (without my help). When the fruit was bright orange-red (at the end of December) I had opened it and found a single big hard and dry seed that I have put immediately in a planter. I have placed the planter on a window sill (below a central heating) and kept it moist. After one week, I have noticed the first miniature leaf, and now the plant is 9 months old :)

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 6:14AM
foxwichya(7b)

Thanks for the input on germinating the Sans seeds Mine are turning orange now and looking forward to planting them soon. If anyone else has any experience in this please share also.

Thanks again

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 11:34PM
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

They should be fresh. his seems to me a must for this species. Norma

Bookmark   September 26, 2007 at 11:15PM
jover(Tenerife)

Hi, yesterday I made some photos of a tray with young S. robusta (not trifasciata) seedlings.
They were sown on 16 may 2007, started germinating the end of june and now they are nearly 3 months old.
I use pure perlite covered with small volcanic stones, keep moist, WARM and just wait.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 6:04AM
jaxtropix(9a)

I have a red fruit on my S. cylindrica and hope to get it to sprout!

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:38PM
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

Thanks for this thread! I have a couple of seeds that have just turned orange so I'm going to give it a shot and try to germinate them. Hmm, happens to be on my cylindrica too.
Now I am excited.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 4:18PM
ant_ant(SF Bay Area)

So my Cylindrica bloomed, the flowers died off and the stalk had a number of fruits/seedpods on it. All but one died back with the top of the stalk. The last one has become plump and green at a generous 1/4 inch I'd say. I've done no pollination and the flower is not yet completely withered but I have no others to cross with. By previous posts I'm assuming this pod will turn orange eventually and can be planted.
Will I need to peel off a skin or do I plant the whole thing? Are there more seeds than one inside this pod? (I'm seeing a couple new plantlets from the base now too.)
I've had my snake sans bloom but never had seeds. Yes, I'm excited too!

Bookmark   February 24, 2015 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
new snake plant- total beginner in need of tips!
Hi everyone, So glad I found this forum. I've been...
k8lizzy
What a difference a little heat makes
just thought I'd share this. In cool, gloomy Oregon,...
kwie2011
plantnut2011
Hahnii Silver Marginated - rot
I bought Sans. Hahnii Silver Marginated Jan 31, and...
lme5573
Help
What's wrong with my sansevieria? Can I do anything...
savana3
Sponsored Products
46 in. Sansevieria in Square Tall Planter - 400910-S25W
$239.99 | Hayneedle
40 in. Sansevieria - 400910
$209.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™