What does seed of Clematis montana look like?

raehelen(USDA 7-8)July 1, 2009

I have saved and successfully grown several different kinds of clematis. But I have a white Clematis (assume it's montana) that has hundreds of mature seed heads right now. Each one only has a small black 'seedhead'? (smaller and thinner than a sesame seed) attached to the fluffy shuttlecock. Is this viable seed? I know the seed for C. alpina and C. tanguitica is larger than this, though still much smaller than the huge seedheads of the larger hybrid species.

I googled and couldn't find a pic of C. montana seeds anywhere. Don't want to save 'fluff'! :>)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
Since you describe the seedhead part as so small, it sounds like your seeds never developed properly. If the seedhead part is not hard(you can bend it easy with you nail,) they are no good.
Remy

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 8:55PM
raehelen(USDA 7-8)

Remy,

Do you know what the viable seed of Clematis montana looks like? Could you describe it or attach a pic?

Has anyone successfully grown C. montana from seed?

Thanks, Rae

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 10:27PM
remy_gw

Rae,
I have at least a half dozen straight species type seeds and I can tell you they do not vary much. All clematis seed gets a hard head if viable. They all look relatively the same. Some have a lighter colored edge to the seed, but it is still hard. The only clematis I know that have small viable seed are the non-climbing types like C. stans, but of course the good seed are still hard.
On the link below, is a pic of a Clematis montana seedhead. It is not the best pic, but I think you can see the thickened seeds at the base.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis montana seedhead

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™