Problems with seed saving on hard squash

ThisOldDadJuly 21, 2014

Last year was my first garden in quite some time as my previous residences were too shady. The new house has a mostly open one acre lot, so we put in a small garden last year and doubled it this year to about 30 x 80 ft. I grew both butternut squash with seed saved from a store bought squash and also some Potimarron (Red Kuri) squash seed brought over from France by my mother-n-law (ok, probably not legal). Anyhow, both squash did very well last year and I saved seeds from good examples of both types to plant this year. It looks like I have some hybrid "Franken-Squash". Since the bug level was getting critical and some of the vines were dying, I harvested most of the squash this weekend. I haven't tried any of the Franken-Squash, but will update after I do. I guess it is just not practical to seed save when growing several varieties of squash in a small area. This year, I had spaghetti, butternut, acorn and potimarron as well as summer squash, so no telling what the seeds would do next year. The hybrids of the squash are on the bottom right of the photo.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_minnie(zone 4a)

Butternut types and Maxima types, which red kuri are, cannot cross with each other or with acorn types. However, squash cross in their species readily in a half mile. You must have bees to pollinate squash and the bees don't just keep to one variety or just to your garden! So unless you hand pollinate, you will have crossing within the species in saved seed.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

The only experience with squash seeds that had a problem were with my summer squash. Even with 7 children I ended up with too many even to give away so I just threw a few into my garden and tilled them under. The next spring a few came up but they looked more like banana squash with, for me, a strange taste but my children loved them anyway. They got to be over a foot long and still make good fried squash, one my children's favorite food

Bookmark   October 11, 2014 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
Sponsored Products
Burns Ottoman - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
VIGO Shower Massage Panel
Overstock.com
Burns Leather Ottoman - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Juno Pro-Series 14 in. Black Under Cabinet Halogen ULH214-BL
$77.97 | Home Depot
Juno Under Cabinet Lighting Pro-Series 9 in. Xenon Brushed Silver Under Cabinet
$73.97 | Home Depot