Sansevieria kirkii pulchra 'Copper Form'

ChlorophyllJill(z6 OK)September 18, 2004

I got this today at a local Cacti and Succulent show - was wondering if new growth will come true. It is a lovely coppery color - almost with a pinkish tint to it. I sure hope it will continue growing like this and not turn green on me!

Jill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kniphofia

Yes isn't this one of the most beautiful sans? The new growth will stay that beautiful color. What a great find.

Bookmark   September 19, 2004 at 7:14AM
ChlorophyllJill(z6 OK)

Oh, yaye! Thanks for responding Kniphofia! I was reeeally hoping that this one would stay that color - it is sooo beautiful.

Jill

Bookmark   September 19, 2004 at 12:13PM
mairzy_dotes(zone 10)

I like that one so much, I have 3 of them. I even had to go out & find a great pot that complimented the color for my biggest one & have it in a plant stand no less. It always gets compliments too. So you are not alone in thinking that it is a beautiful plant.
Marcy

Bookmark   September 19, 2004 at 12:51PM
ChlorophyllJill(z6 OK)

I will probably have to go do that too, Marcy - the pot this one's in doesn't do it justice. What kind of pot did you put yours in? I was so excited when I saw it - there were only two or three and they were going fast! So I snapped it up and took it home. I almost got a Sansevieria cylindrica, but I was on a budget and could only get a few plants!

Jill

Bookmark   September 19, 2004 at 2:02PM
kniphofia

Jill - check out the gallery, there's an interesting thread by Solar Storm on this plant, including a photo.

Bookmark   September 21, 2004 at 6:02AM
russ_fla(9)

Hi. Your 'Coppertone' will also propagate true from leaf
cuttings. So be sure to plant any leaves you might cut off
because of damage or whatever. They will give you new
'Coppertone's' to trade or share.
Russ

Bookmark   September 23, 2004 at 1:59AM
mairzy_dotes(zone 10)

Russ, will a forescate leaf make more forescates from a leaf, or will it go back to trifasciata? I finally took off a damaged leaf on mine the other day and didn't throw it away yet.
Also, what is the best way to start from leaves? Do you cut it up in pieces or just plant the leaf? Do you let them dry out first(callous over), and what medium do you use? Thanks
Marcy

Bookmark   September 23, 2004 at 9:53AM
ChlorophyllJill(z6 OK)

I took pieces of a Sansevieria (don't know the name - just the normal kind) and cut them up, calloused them off, and stuck them in dirt. It took a LONG time but they finally formed a new plant. The cuttings eventually die, I think. I gave this plant to my sis - I was very proud that I was patient enough to let it root! I'm very excited to try that with my 'Coppertone' plant - but I've heard that it grows very slow, so it might be a while until I can propagate it. Thanks for the info Russ!

Jill

Bookmark   September 23, 2004 at 10:13AM
ChlorophyllJill(z6 OK)

B.T.W. - thanks kniphofia for telling me about the discussion in the gallery. It was very interesting!

Jill

Bookmark   September 24, 2004 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
sansevieria pups wanted (the TALL variety)
just curious if anyone can send me a sansevieria pup...
jay83
Photo album (for Sans)
Using the "project" thingie on here, I made...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
plantnut2011
What a difference a little heat makes
just thought I'd share this. In cool, gloomy Oregon,...
kwie2011
My recurring problem with sansevierias
I've grown a host of succulents for about 30 years....
fungshengwuchi
Sponsored Products
Seashell Outdoor Planter - Large (29"W)
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™