Which salvia to start with??

smokey28777August 15, 2007

I have a perrennial garden and want to add salvia this fall/next spring. Can you tell me which ones are good to start with and the best place to order them? I want to start with a hardy variety and I live in western north carolina. Our winters get down to around 5 degrees on the coldest nights. Thanks for your help as salvias are new to me but from what I am reading they would make a great addition to my garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I just prepared a list of suitable Salvias for someone between Greenville and Spartanburg, SC. I can send a copy to you as an Acrobat file offline.

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 9:12PM
shari1332(z7NC)

Richard, if you could send me one as well I'd appreciate it. I'll email you.

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 9:42PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I think I would choose either a hardy red selection of Salvia greggii, or Salvia guaranitica. Both of these are long bloomers, relatively easy to find, and adaptable to your climate, I expect. Why a red salvia greggii? I just like red. Another color would work as well, just select a cultivar that is hardy in your winters. If you weren't insisting on a hardy salvia, I'd go with Salvia coccinea. It grows easily from seed, grows fast, tolerates any climate.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 2:28PM
wardda

My only question for anyone in eastern zone 7 is whether it is too late to be planting salvias at this point? And further whether there is any advantage in planting them now? Species like greggii make a lot of progress in the first season they are planted and by mid season, at least for me, aren't that far behind the older plants. You might consider making early purchases say next March, pot them up a size or two, and keep them protected until the danger of freezing has passed. You can even take cuttings and make more for the summer. They root pretty fast in April if it is warm enough.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 8:18AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Frost heaving is the enemy of woody sages like Salvia greggii, and that depends on winter cold spells.

A lot of the success of a fall planting has to do with the length of the growing season. Will they find a decent window of mid range growing temperatures and not have a misadventure with hurricane rains, drought, and an early freeze?

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 10:57AM
wardda

Maybe that was why several seedlings that didn't sprout until late in the season survived last winter - a winter that didn't start until the end of January. That winter wasn't so kind to some of my older more established plants. A large patch of microphylla Wild Watermelon only survived as a single layered branch that didn't even sprout until May.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 1:02PM
laurabs(7b)

I'm in central NC, and black and blue salvia did great for me. My regular soil is quite sandy, and my black and blue is planted in a raised bed with amended soil on a south-facing brick foundation wall. The plant that gets a bit more shade is smaller, but blooms fine. The plant that gets mostly sun is in the 3-1/2 to 4 feet tall range. It's hard to say because it's in the raised bed. It keeps the bees and hummingbirds happy and the green leaves are bright, the blue is electric and the black stems set them off nicely. Salvia coccinea 'snow nymph'would be pretty in front, though it is says it is perenniel in zone 9.

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
My savlia Greggi red turned out to be Hot Lips...
In January I bought some 5 gallon salvias- I specifically...
Sabine Halfhill
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
Salvia Seed Sowing here's how:
I've been noticing several questions about salvia seed...
Salvia_guy
Salvia Friesland or butterfly bush??? Need help identifying this photo
Please help me identify the pink perennial in front...
landscaping2014
Sponsored Products
Modern Fan Company | Aurora Ceiling Fan
$384.00 | YLighting
Little People Rectangular Indoor Hanging Lamp
Lightology
Sydney Big Deck Box
Overstock.com
Roswell Wall Sconce by Kichler
$173.80 | Lumens
Coffee/Tea Hostess Set
$150.00 | Horchow