Rain at Last /Salvias that

hybridsageAugust 22, 2008

We finally have had a good 2" rain. My Salvia greggii,

microphylla,greggii x microphylla,miniata,coccinea,

azurea var pitcheri,scabra, xSilkes Dream and ballotaeflora look like they are going to make it through this drought!

lots of dead stems but coming back nicely. How is everone

elses salvias surviving?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertsage(7b USDA Sunset 10)

With 13+" of rain since July 1, most of my older Salvias are past their peak. A month and a half of rain, has kept the temps down a bit and flowering has been wonderful. Now it is heating up again and I suspect October will bring another flush. Many many volunteers this year, the hummers and Spinx moths really did their job.

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 8:30AM
hybridsage

We were hoping that rain would come here but it headed your way. My salvias have recovered from being so dry but no flowering yet.David which other species do you have besides greggii and subincisa? Any S.arizonica or clevelandii etc?
Art

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 6:42PM
desertsage(7b USDA Sunset 10)

Hi Art, I only bought some potted plants from Phoenix that I though might be tender here. Two winters and they are doing very well, so I have tried S. clevelandii and S. leucantha and S. apiana. Apiana started from seed is a little slow, but I grew it in Phx and know most of the growth comes in the winter. S.clevelandii and S. leucantha are beautiful leucantha is just starting to bloom. Clevelandii appears to be making buds too. Luckly I have two rainy seasons here. I am not a shopper so, my wife goes to the big city with her girlfriends. She brings back Salvias as asked, but mostly annuals which I thank her for and plant in a faraway garden.
david

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™