what does lemon sage look like?

jeaninpgh(z6 PA)August 7, 2005

I just recieved a great trade (my 2nd) & one of the plants is new to me , does anyone know what lemon sage looks like in bloom?What is its hardiness zone? I also recieved rootbeer & licorice agastache? any info greatly appreciated- p.s. thanks to deedee8 & browneyedsusan for these great plants

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cait1

Hello Jean,
Hard to say when using a common names. If the leaves are grey-green then it could be one of the culinary sages, Salvia officinalis. I googled lemon sage and it came up with a pic of Salvia elegans; except the common name for that one is pineapple sage. Perhaps you can ask the person who gave it to you for it's botanical name.

Cait

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 7:58PM
jeaninpgh(z6 PA)

thanks cait,I also kept coming up w pineapple & i dont think that the sender knows ,its a beautiful plant about 12 or more in high w dark green leaves that smell strongly like lemon pledge,my mom wants lemon sage chicken when it grows,but I dont want anyone eating it if its poisionus or something,Im new to the GW & figured maybe someone knows this plant

Bookmark   August 9, 2005 at 12:38PM
rivers1202(Z8a South Carolina)

Are you certain it's a sage? Could it be 'lemon balm' or even 'lemon verbena'? Both smell strongly of lemons if you crush or rub the foliage. I'm growing lemon verbena and currently it's full of holes - bugs just love the stuff.

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 1:37AM
persimmon88

I believe I have a lemon sage shrub in one of my flower beds. It is a few years old now and so is rather large, but it has hot pink flowers and smallish leaves that have a lemony-peachy smell when crushed.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen77
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
Salvia Madrensis dormancy
I purchased two gallon pots at a plant sale this fall,...
fairfield8619
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™