Peony poppies

lam702July 23, 2014

I have some gorgeous peony poppies this year. I thought I bought a packet of pink, but they are blooming in various colors, bicolors, pinks, plums, all lovely. I want to save some seed, seems silly to keep buying seed when they produce hundreds of them., But how can I tell when its ready to be picked and stored? Right now the pods are green, and when shaken I don't hear seeds rattling around inside. I think the pod will turn brown? I don't want to wait until it breaks open and scatters the seed, because I want to take the seed and sprinkle it somewhere else. Oh,another question - if I keep deadheading and picking the seed pods off before they are ripe, will they continue to bloom all summer? If so, I'd rather wait until fall to gather the seeds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

When the pods are dry and brown they will start to drop their seeds. But they contain so much that you can still gather a huge amount by upending the pods in a paper bag. (Not plastic.)

And no, they will not continue to flower if you dead head.

1 Like    Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 3:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wynnho

Sometimes, when I get a packet of mixed color seeds, I divide them in many places so I can isolate the colors and be more likely of saving pure seed. I remove the seed pods of those I don't want and maybe use those flowers in a vase (not easy with peony poppies). My pink peony poppies (my fave color I chose in oder to save pure seed) comes true from seed every year and is so easy. The seedlings usually overwinter here in z7b/8, too.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
MN seed saving class at prepper expo
http://www.survivalpreppersexpo.com/classes/gardening/ I...
little_minnie
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
Sponsored Products
Homespice Decor Poppy Throw Pillow - 211538
$58.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Poppy Sage 8' Round
Home Depot
Poppy Red Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Poppies table runner
Origin Crafts
Kelley Wire Pendant in Teal
$79.99 | Dot & Bo