saving tomato seeds, partially ripe?

susaninosceolamo(6A)July 16, 2012

Hey all. I'm a newbie and planted a bunch of heirloom tomatoes. I want to save the seed but I am struggling with figuring out when a tomato is ripe. I am using wintersowing Trudi's method of saving the seeds and cleaning with ajax. If I use an unripe tomato, will some of the seeds be okay or should I just be patient and wait? My other question is about cross-pollination? Is it worth it to take the trouble to bag blossoms? If I don't, am I still going to get decent tomatoes? Thanks for the help, susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Susan,
A tomato is ripe for seed saving when it is ripe to eat. (Some things must be over ripe, eggplant and cucumbers are examples of that.)
It is best to wait until a tomato is fully ripe to save seeds. A bit over ripe is fine.
If really under ripe, you will get no viable seed. If a bit under ripe, you may not get as many good seed, but will still get some that are usable.
It is easiest to think of the fruit as a womb, and waiting for the seeds is like a pregnancy. You want to go full term for the healthiest babies.
Tomato crossing rates are very low. It does happen though. So it is best to save seed from multiple fruit. The chances of all the fruit being crossed is very low so you know you'll have true seed.
Hope this helps,
Remy

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Named variety Echinops true from seed?
Hi, I've been given some seedheads of what I think...
perennial2014
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Sponsored Products
Green 3528 LED Strip Light 60/m 8mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Fascination Four-Light Nevada Pendant
$799.00 | Bellacor
Scarabeo by Nameeks Zefiro Wall Mounted Toilet - ART. 8208
$840.91 | Hayneedle
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 1 Light Outdoor Pendant Antique Bronze Finish Frosted
Home Depot
Radiax 2700K 10-Degree 21-Watt LED Black Spot Light
Lamps Plus
Corso Oval Chandelier by Eurofase
$648.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™