Prune flowers/buds for new planting?

mwhidden(5b)August 22, 2010

I just bought some Salvia "May Night" in 6" pots. They have some flowers and buds on them. When I put them in the ground, should I remove the flowers and buds? Will that encourage them to better establish themselves for New England winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

If the buds are small in relation to the square footage of the healthy foliage, and if the roots at the edge of the root ball are robust, you should have no problems. If the plant is small, I'd definitely cut the flower heads off.

A lot of your success will depend on temperatures, including night temps, and site preparation.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 10:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mwhidden(5b)

Thank you for your reply. The foliage probably spans about 10" and they seemed pretty pot-bound when I put them in the ground. I think I'll let the flowers be for a while, and I'll aggressively dead-head and keep on top of the watering until frost. Site prep included about 1/2" of homemade compost and a dusting of organic fertilizer in the top 4" of soil, and a couple of handfuls of compost and a tablespoon of fertilizer mixed into the bottom of the hole. A couple of inches of pine bark mulch.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™