snow pea seeds

drcindy(z8 WA)July 25, 2009

Hi all,

I've never saved seeds before so I thought I'd give it a try. I've seen my aunt dry out Chinese long beans in the sun so I thought I could do the same with my snow peas. These were the ones that I left on the vine too long; I picked them and laid them in the sun. Well, it's been broiling hot out here lately, much hotter than usual, and I just brought the seeds in and shelled them. The ones that look ok are mostly green but also partly light brown, like half and half. Are they viable or should I just toss them? Half of the seeds were totally dark brown and shriveled, so I threw those away. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
They might be good. When peas are good seeds they get shriveled, but they still have some plumpness to them and are hard. The color can be a pale green to pale brown or gray. As you knew the totally dark brown and shriveled were no good. For saving peas of any sort to get the hightest percent of viable pea, just leave the pods on the vines to dry. Once the pods have lost their color and are papery feeling, you can pick the peas and get rid of the plants.
Remy

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Swiss Chard Seeds
I wintered over some chard and have some magnificent...
segesvar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™