Saving flower seeds

petitpaw_designsJuly 1, 2009

Hi, this year for the first time I have started purple wave petunia seeds and had awsome results. Next year I'd love to plant way more since they were so easy. However the seeds are really expensive compared to marigolds, (like 5.00 for 10 seeds) so I would like to save some from my plants.

Problem is people tell me I won't get as nice as flowers or smaller. I'm just wondering why??? Does anyone no????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
You will get flowers that are different. I had one wave type reseed and the flowers were dinky. Waves are hybrids. Hybrids sometimes have complex breeding to achieve a desired trait/traits. So lots of genes go into the making of wave petunia and some express themselves in a bad way in the offspring like my dinky flowers. Now that is not to say you won't get nice babies too, but it is a gamble. If you have room or like to experiment, you can grow out seeds to see what you get. If you do get a desirable baby, you can get rid of the other plants, keep growing the one you want and save seeds from it. If you keep doing this for a few years, you can develop a variety that will come true from seed. Then you have your own variety that you can grow every year. Doing this is called de-hybridization.
Remy

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 9:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paulan70(5)

There are some waves that will come like their parent ie the Laura bush petunia. But still others will be different than their parent the petunias are open pollunated so it is hard to say for sure what they will turn out.

Just because you plant all purple does not mean that a bee or other insect or whatever did not visit your neibhors blue or pink petunia.

Try your hand at saving and then growing your own petunias if you do not the like the flower that it produces you can always pull and chuck the plant(s) that you do not like and not feel bad since it is a "bonus" plant since you collected the seed for it.

You might discover that you love the mix of colors that come up.

Paula

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 3:13AM
More Discussions
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
mini pumpkins
I bought my daughter one of those miniature pumpkins...
triple_b
Lupinus perennis seeds (already stratified)
anyone know a source for sundial lupine seeds (already...
puffkit
Sponsored Products
Hydrofarm Bonsai Shears - HGBS400
$23.00 | Hayneedle
Markham Collection 24 1/4" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Squirrel-Proof Birdfeeder with Auger
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
Geneva Collection 23 5/8" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
The Charleston Lantern Bird Feeder
$24.99 | zulily