help identifying varieties?

kytti(z7 NC)August 24, 2006

Hi,

I recently visited Reynolda Gardens in Winston-Salem, NC. They have a yellow and blue garden which had 3 different types of gorgeous salvias. I'd love to know what varieties they are. I tried e-mailing the gardens, but didn't get a response.

I'm not sure how to load thumbnails of plants, but will try to provide links to photos.

Mystery salvia 1 would probably have been 7-8 feet tall, but had layed over so many of the stalks were horizontal to the ground. The flowers were larger and more open than many salvias (not as tube-like) photo at

Mystery salvia # 2 was much shorter, maybe 3-4 foot tall. the flowers were a beautiful baby blue. Photo at

Mystery salvia #3 was easily 8-9 feet tall and as wide, stood upright well, and the flower stalks twisted and corkscrewed above the foliage. Beautiful!! photo at

I hope the photo links work!

Thanks for any help!!

-Kitty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annette68_gw

Not sure about 1 or 3, No 2 maybe Salvia Uliginosa.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 2:55AM
helena_z8_ms

I agree with #2 as uliginosa. #1 seems to be azurea var. grandiflora

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 8:37AM
kytti(z7 NC)

Wonderful, thanks!!
mystery salvia #3 had smaller blooms like the uliginosa but a deeper blue, not the baby blue color. And the plant was huge!
Thanks so much for the help!!!!
-Kitty

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery salvia 3

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 9:52AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

It is hard to tell from the photos, but S. uliginosa and azurea are the best guesses for these three. Uliginosa has scented foliage (kerosine), not so azurea. Leaves on both are a lot longer than wide. Uliginosa has leaves with toothed edge, whereas azurea has a mostly smooth edge and they are narrower than uliginosa's leaves. The flowers on azurea are a solid blue, and those of uliginosa are a bit darker with a white zone.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 9:55AM
kytti(z7 NC)

Hi,
I absolutely agree that #2 is the uliginosa with the sky blue flowers. I also think #1 is the Azurea grandiflora because the flowers are just right!
But I also think #3 is a separate variety. It really was 8-9 feet or more tall and about as wide, the uliginosa only gets 4-6 feet tall and the grandiflora 3-5 feet tall.
is there a "giant" variety of salvia?
Thanks,
Kitty

Here is a link that might be useful: giant salvia?

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 2:00PM
annette68_gw

Only a guess, could it be S.urica, what were the leaves like on no. 3.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 3:50PM
kytti(z7 NC)

Hi,
If you are asking about how the foliage smelled, I don't know, the plant was at the back of a flower bed so I couldn't get very close. I'll attach a link to the best closeup I could manage of the foliage. The leaves are narrow and pointed. If I'd known the gardens wouldn't help with any identifying, I'd have tried to take more and better photos. :-(
I think the flowers were slightly two tone, either blue and white or darker and lighter blue if that helps.
Thanks,
Kitty

Here is a link that might be useful: foliage of salvia

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 7:47PM
annette68_gw

I am still not sure, maybe the Azurea Nekans. It is a bummer that they didnt supply species names. Still you have 2/3definates which is pretty good.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
Salvia Madrensis dormancy
I purchased two gallon pots at a plant sale this fall,...
fairfield8619
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™