Hummingbird favorites

ponyexpress_1August 13, 2013

Hi all, I had a question for all you Salvia aficionados. I too am becoming very interested in Salvias. I was wondering, what is the best summer blooming Salvia for attracting Hummingbirds that is hardy to zone 6 and/or also has a tuber and can be dug for winter? I am in zone 6a and many of the Salvias do not survive our winters. I plant lady in red, coral nymph, and I also have black and blue and S. patens 'Blue Angel' which I will be overwintering this year. The hummingbirds went nuts for the Black and blue and I am hoping to get some others that they like. Anything for the hummingbirds : )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

You would do well with most of the guaranitica forms. There are some S. microphylla forms that are hardy as well. You may be able to do some S. puberula, S. involucrata, and S. greggii forms, especially with some protection.

If you can mulch with bags of various sizes of shredded tree leaves, they will act as a removable cold frame. When spring begins to come, you selectively remove smaller bags to expose the plants and to warm the soil, keeping them handy for cold spells.

With this system, you should be able to keep zone 7 plants going in the ground. The plants mentioned can be potted up and kept in a sheltered area as long as they are kept just moist, not wet or bone dry. When digging up, make sure to keep fine feeder roots.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 1:08PM
kermitc

Very best place to ask this question is the Hummingbird Forum: http://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/

You will get a great deal of experienced suggestions.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:16PM
kermitc

Very best place to ask this question is the Hummingbird Forum: http://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/

You will get a great deal of experienced suggestions.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:17PM
ponyexpress_1

Bringing them indoors was what I was looking for. I will try the bag of leaves approach too. I have wanted to do that with my Crape Myrtle also anyway, to keep it from dying back to the ground. Thank you Rich. KermittC, I will check that forum out as well. Thanks

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
I need plants ofb Salvia Apiana.
I left my place in California and have had no luck...
Designed Excellence
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™