Dianthus seeds

Margie Crawford(6A)July 22, 2011

When I look at seed sites it can be a little difficult to get a good sense of the size of seeds. Are dianthus seeds only a little bigger than dust? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
Dianthus seeds are not that tiny. They are black or dark brown little chip looking things. On the link below, there is as pic. The size looks about right on my monitor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dianthus Page on The Seed Site

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 2:44PM
Margie Crawford(6A)

Remy, thanks very much for the response. I waited until the pods were very dry but no seeds like the ones you posted. Guess I'll work on the timing and see what happens next year. These were patented plants - could they be sterile? Margie

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 10:17PM
remy_gw

They could be sterile. I had a sterile variety so I know they are out there. Usually dianthus make seeds in abundance. Another reason for no seeds could be if the weather was odd during bloom time. Very high heat will cause plants to not have seeds. Excessive rain can do the same.
Remy

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 10:16PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

This past Spring I purchased a whole flat of beautiful red dianthus. They were small, like they may have been sold as plugs. They have been planted in the flowerbed and still aren't much larger than when I planted them in the Spring. Is there any hope that they'll grow larger. If not, they can go in the yard waste bag that they collect on Mondays or Thursdays. They are taking up valuable real estate!

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 9:51PM
gardenweed_z6a

Margie - do you want some dianthus seeds to winter sow? I harvested all the seeds from my various perennial dianthus and marked them (can you believe it?) so they're separated by cultivar name. There's way more than I'll be able to WS this time around so they're yours if you want them (for postage). I do WS dianthus every year but may finally be closing in on having enough of them. (;-p)

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 5:27PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I waited until the pods were very dry but no seeds like the ones you posted. They may have fallen out or been eaten.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
Ruellia/Mexican Petunia
There has to be a trick to saving these. I know they...
poisondartfrog
Phlox and Yarrow seeds where are they??
I have not been here on this forum before and am usually...
wishnforspring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™