Mexican Fire Bush

freshair2townsquare(z7/8, D/FW)August 12, 2008

Are the dark berries of a Fire Bush their seeds, or is there a different thing I should look for?

~ Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freshair2townsquare(z7/8, D/FW)

Just so we're talking about the same Fire Bush . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Firebush in Florida

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 1:12AM
wally_1936(8b)

Taken from the hyperling Firebush in Florida;
Purists insist that I call it by its "correct" botanical name, Hamelia patens. In the nursery it may be labeled as Scarlet Bush, Hummingbird Bush, African Fire Bush, Mexican Fire Bush, and a host of other names in Latin America. It is a member of the Madder plant family that includes Gardenia, Penta, and Wild Coffee.

I never knew that this plant could put out seeds as this is the first time I even noticed them but I do like the bush as it seems to enjoy living in conditions that most will not even survive under. So I am going to try harvesting these seeds to see how well they sprout. I will also try to do some starts from cuttings. I enjoy watching all plants come to life and add beauty to the area. Thank you for this post

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 10:11AM
TxRider

Ive been reading that the Mexican fire bush will look dead but most likely is still alive after the winter season...should I repot them or just start feeding them more water ??...I purchased two last year and loved the way they grew and looked...but having a hard time this year finding anyone selling them locally....also it sounds like we can harvest their seeds to re-grow ??

Thanks for any input !!

Ken

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Are hollyhocks self pollinating?
Are hollyhocks self pollinating? I've a very tall,...
albert_135
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™