Burpless bush cucumber hybrid

smiles317(7)August 4, 2008

My father in law is insisting that I can save the seeds from my cucumbers to plant again next year. I am a newbie at gardening but....I thought I read that when a veggie plant is a hybrid, the plant from a harvested seed will not be true to form. Am I right, or is he right? I would like to save seeds this year, rather then spend $2 on a pack of 100 seeds which always ends up going to waste.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Smiles,
You are right about the hybrid seed not coming true to form. But I have good news! You don't need to buy seed every year. Your seeds will last more than one year if kept in a cool, dark, and dry location. They generally stay good for at least 5 years before viability drops.
Remy

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 9:23PM
smiles317(7)

REALLY? Why do seed companies put an expiration date on their seed packets then?

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 9:34AM
remy_gw

Hi Smiles,
It is because veggies seeds are germination tested before they are pkged. for sale. Each type of veggie must germinate at a certain percent for sale, and they must be pkged. with an expiration date so the percent is guaranteed . Once seeds are sent out for sale, the original seed company has no control over what the seller and/or purchaser does to the seed. So a store or the home grower may keep their seed in a hot humid place or other poor storage conditions and that will greatly affect how well the seed will germinate after awhile.
I hope all that made sense : )
Remy

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
Wanted: Paulownia seeds
Topic title says it all. I do have a lot of stuff to...
rozenkruetz
Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?
Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather...
suecirish
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™