Evening Primrose Seed Collecting

michiganaliceAugust 7, 2005

I have some Evening Primrose in my garden, I'd like to collect the seed from it but I'm not sure where to start. Right now, my plants have finished flowering and are forming hard "pods" (sort of pods...they're small though).

I'm wondering if the "pods" are the actual seed or if the seeds are contained inside. I've popped one open before and didn't see too much.

If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate the help. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
becksyard(z6 PA)

Evening Primrose is listed in the seedsaving FAQ at the top of the screen. I knew I saw it somewhere and took me awhile to remember this forum has a FAQ with lots of things listed.
I remember collecting these seeds last year and the end does dry to open sort of like a star. The seeds drop right out when the seedpod is ready.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ

Bookmark   August 7, 2005 at 10:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magus(8a BC)

The pods start to turn brown from the tip downward, and I've found that once you see the brown at the top of the pod, they are ready to collect. If you wait too long, they will drop the large number of seeds on the ground as the pod opens. There should be about a hundred seeds in each pod, and each one looks like a small, very dark brown, angular bits (like skewed cubes, kinda). If you collect them too early, you will see nothing but soft, grainy green things inside, and those would be the immature seeds.

Bookmark   August 9, 2005 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
need help with seed saving winnowing
saved these seed how do I winnow?
Wild Haired Mavens
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Recently read about a ''caffeine soak'' to get seed to germinate.
I recently read about a mention of a ''caffeine soak''...
albert_135
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™