Cup and Saucer - can't find seeds!

newbi(NS z5)August 28, 2005

I was hoping someone can explain to me how to find the seeds in my cup and saucer plant (Campanula, Canterbury bells). Please don't refer me to theseedsite.com as I've already been there. I STILL CAN'T FIND THEM! What am I doing wrong? I thought I would have been able to collect seed weeks ago. I'm afraid I'm going to miss them.

Any suggestions are welcomed,

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
starmoon(Z5 NY)

Hi Lisa,

Seeds for canterbury bells form in the base of the old flowers buds. Make sure the pods are brown and dried before collecting the seeds. You will see several bulging ridges under each pod. Tear the raised ridges off the bottom of the pod to find "compartments" under each ridge. I believe you have to go through 2 layers to reach the seed compartments. The seeds are tiny and brownish and should fall out easily when you shake the pod. Hope this helps.

-starmoon *)

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 2:25PM
julia_123(zone5/Indiana)

I had the same problem. There were very obviously "pods" once my cup and saucer started drying out...but there were NO seeds inside! I ended up buying more seeds. I'll try again next year!~

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 1:37PM
AdamM321(MA z5/6)

Hi, I am having the same trouble. The plant has been finished flowering for a long time, and the dead petals have long since turned brown, but the bulges under the dead petals stayed green and of course when I tried to open one, there was nothing inside. I also got some very fine filaments stuck in my fingers for my trouble...almost like a splinter and had to remove them with tweezers. The plants were gorgeous this year and would love to save seed. HOPE I can find them. I will go look again, but with gloves this time.

Adam

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 4:05PM
SunnySmiles51

I have havested many of them and they need to be brown inside on the pod after the petals are removed. I pick out the large ones as they hold more seeds. They do tend to stick your fingers so try to use twezzers instead of my fingers.
Sunny

Bookmark   September 9, 2005 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Jackmanii Clematis
I have a Jackmanii clematis out back that has seeds...
uptomyeyeballs
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
Lantana Tangerine
I have a large, thriving shrub of this and I would...
merianna
Named variety Echinops true from seed?
Hi, I've been given some seedheads of what I think...
perennial2014
Sponsored Products
2 Faced Shatterproof Polished Steel Bathroom Mirror
TheBathOutlet
Ryder Chair - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
XtremeAIR 36 Inch Wall Mount Stainless Steel Range Hood D0236-B
eModern Decor
A C Pacific Kayden Blue Power Chair - KAYDEN ACORN POWER CHAIR
$709.99 | Hayneedle
Masiero Lighting | Blossomy Wall Sconce
$541.00 | YLighting
Whitehaus WHUMSB Undermount Sink Support Bars Installation Kit for Sinks
$49.00 | Blue Bath
Universal Four Light Kit Bright Brass Universal Four Light Kit Small Cluster Con
$35.10 | Bellacor
Hudson Valley Pamelia 12" Wide Old Bronze Bath Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™