When should I cut back my purple sage?

GMOFREEGUYSeptember 19, 2013

This is my first time growing sage and I picked up a purple cutting from a nursery. Its been doing really well since i planted it in my garden and its probably about ten inches tall now. Ive been reading that cutting it back will promote the bushiness but I just dont know when to do it. How big should i let it get before doing this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Where do you live?

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 12:29AM
GMOFREEGUY

In northern california in the yuba sutter area. So im kind of in the valley in rice field territory

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 8:31PM
CA Kate

I live in the Central Valley and have found that it is wise to leave the pruning until the Salvias start sending out new growth in the spring. Prune back to new growth.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 9:43PM
GMOFREEGUY

Okay cool how big should I expect it to get overall? Its just in a 5 gallon pot right now but if its supposed to get really big Ill move it to something with more space in the spring

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 10:29PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Purple sage can mean any of a number of Salvias. Which species and form is it?

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 8:48AM
Siir(9a)

Well, if it's happy with your temperature range, and it's a California native, it's most likely Salvia leucophylla.

If that's the case, then it's probably a good idea to tip it now so that the coming shrub is good and branched.

S. leucophylla often grows over 5 feet tall in as many years, but the Point Sal variety tends to remain about 3 feet by 3 feet. I recommend either a pretty big, draining pot or to put it in the ground.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 9:51AM
GMOFREEGUY

Its actually salvia officinalus. The leaves are a really bright purple and green

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 2:46PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

If you are gardening in a flood plain or on a hillside where runoff channels, a raised bed with drainage and some lime would be useful. Sages can do well in damp soil, but their roots must have air.

Mediterranean sages like S. officianalis like limy soils as well.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 11:49PM
GMOFREEGUY

Yeah I do live in a flood plain area but my house is elevated a lot from the street and we havent had any major flooding since ive lived here so it should be okay.

Cool sounds like im doing pretty good with it then. I got some really great soil thats nice for drainage and its nice and airy for it. And I had to had dylomite lime to the soil when I got it

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™