Storing seeds for Himalayan Blue Poppy

KarenvcAugust 6, 2013

Hello

I have just harvested some seeds from my Himalayan Blue Poppy and have been reading up about how to store and grow. However I am a bit confused about something.

Quite a few sites say keep in a damp cloth for one month in the refrigerator and then transfer to growing pots. However, as these I believe are normally grown in early spring I need to store the seeds until then.

Another site says store in the refrigerator over winter however, if I am storing them all through winter do I keep them dry in the fridge? And then wrap them in damp cloth for a month prior to growing?

Any advice much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

I just let the seeds fall or scatter them where I want them to grow. They sprout in early spring. Winter cold will take care of them. You are in the UK though, with different climate.

To store them, just let them sit out on a paper plate for a few days to dry, then seal them in a plastic baggie or a paper envelope and keep in a cool place in a glass jar till late winter and then scatter them outside. They do not transplant well. No need for the wet towel.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 8:45AM
Karenvc

Thank you for the advice! I shall give it a try.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 2:28PM
florauk(8/9)

karen - I'd be inclined to sow them thinly, immediately in pots, protect the pots from mice, birds heavy rain, etc. and leave them out all winter. Plant out the entire pot to avoid transplant issues. If you have a cold frame I'd use that. I believe that sowing the seed fresh now will be more successful than saving and sowing later. If you have a lot of seed you could also try sprinkling a few in situ. I can't grow them where I am but I had this advice from a chap who runs a large garden open to the public in Devon.

You are so lucky to have the soil for the blue Meconopsis!

Here is a link that might be useful: Meconopsis

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
list of seeds that don't cross pollinate?
does anyone know what seeds do not cross pollinate?...
slm2118
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
Extra Ghost Pepper Seeds
I have around 50 extra seeds to trade with. I know...
T S
When to expect sunflowers to form seeds?
When can I expect my sunflowers to form seeds? I was...
invisigoth
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
Sponsored Products
White Kendall Desk
$159.99 | zulily
Water Creation F6-0007-03 Vintage Classic 7-inch Spread Deck Mount Tub Faucet wi
Overstock.com
Oxford Outdoor Postmount by Troy Lighting
$768.00 | Lumens
Calliope Crystal Wall Sconce by Robert Abbey
$168.30 | Lumens
3-Pc. Set of Ceramic Canisters
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
AF Lighting Candice Olson Margo 6900-9H Chandelier - 6900-9H
Hayneedle
Correll EconoLine Flip Top Table - Melamine Top - 24x48 Half Round - FT2448MR-01
$211.89 | Hayneedle
Surya Tropics TRO-1007 Area Rug - Moss Multicolor - TRO1007-23
$63.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™