Salvia ID

nuthatch_mo(Z-6 MO)September 2, 2007

What is the correct name for the Salvia that looks like Coral Nymph, but is much taller. I traded some seeds with someone, was suppose to be S. praeclara, but when it started blooming this is what I have. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robinmi_gw

A picture would be helpful!

In the UK there is a very tall S.coccinea called 'Bicolor' which is like a very tall Coral Nymph.

Praeclara is totally different.

Robin.

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 6:44PM
nuthatch_mo(Z-6 MO)

Robin, Here is a couple of pictures. It is at least twice as tall as the Coral Nymph maybe more.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 2:17PM
robinmi_gw

It is probably what we have over here as coccinea 'Bicolor'. Just a tall 'Coral Nymph;.

There are so many forms of S. coccinea, and even these will vary considerably in different soil and climate conditions.

Whatever you have, enjoy it, and deadhead it regularly...it gets better as Autumn (Fall) approaches!

Robin.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 4:02PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

A word about the bicolored forms of coccinea: Holly Shimazu, at the time head of the National Herb Garden at the National Arboretum in Washington, DC told me the plants I got from Well-Sweep of the form I described as S. coccinea Bicolor came from her (no surprise, because Cy and Louise Hyde are old friends of Holly). She got it in turn from Harare, Zimbabwe. I described it in one of my early Salvia Herb Placard books.

I think most of the cultivars of the bicolored forms are based on this selection.

Let me know if anyone knows elsewise.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen77
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™