Noid Sans...

ddiverblue(Z9 AZ)October 10, 2005

I purchased this about a year ago with no name. In looking around I thought it might be Masoniana. Now that I've searched this forum for Masoniana threads, I'm thoroughly confused. What do I have? It looks a little rough because I put it outside and it got too much moisture and split. :( Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenmadness(6bNJ)

Gorgeous plant, ddiver! And flowering, no less! My unprofessional opinion is it looks like S. grandis, though knowing dimensions would be helpful. S. masoniana has wider, taller, flatter(I have one leaf that is 42" tall, another a full 10" wide) leaves whereas grandis has maybe 12" tall, 5" wide, but consistently that dimension leaves. Hope this helps!

Lori

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 11:24PM
ddiverblue(Z9 AZ)

Thanks for the response, Lori. The youngest leaves are each 5" tall and 4" wide. The taller leaves are 13", 15", and 17" and all 4 1/2" to 5" wide. Mine doesn't quite fit the characteristics of either one. I'm getting hooked on sans. I recently took a long trip to Germany. Some of my other houseplants had problems by the time I returned, but my sans were all totally happy with the neglect.

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 1:27PM
russ_fla(9)

Your Sans is probably masoniana. I think those leaf dimensions are within the parameters of masoniana, and differences in light can make leaves vary in size quite a bit. One characteristic of this Sans is a small leaf shield that emerges with new leaves at the bottom of the leaf which has sort of a plaid pattern that is reddish-purple colored. If your plant has this colored leaf shield next time it has a new leaf, it's masoniana.
Russ

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 1:53AM
russ_fla(9)

One thing I should mention, your Sans is nontypical for
masoniana in that it has several leaves in the largest growth. S. masoniana usually only has up to 2. But if it
has those colored leaf shields, I still think it's
masoniana.
Russ.

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 1:56AM
ddiverblue(Z9 AZ)

Thank you, Russ. I was away when it pushed the last new leaves. I'll keep a lookout for the them next time. I appreciate your help.

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 3:22AM
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

I don't think it is S. masoniana because the flowers are not correct. s. masoniana should have a very large thick flowered brush like flower stem. The leaves should be bluish green per Juan Chahinian new book "The Splendid Sansevieria"
It could be S. nitida
S. horwoodii
S. raffillii
S. "Tugela River Valley"
S subtilis
S. metallica
S. grandis
S. elliptica
S. dawei

All of these species have white/grey spots, and to muddy up the issue, most have more than one clone/each from different location.
Norma

Bookmark   October 16, 2005 at 8:17PM
ddiverblue(Z9 AZ)

Thank you for your help, Norma. This one is certainly hard to ID. I'll check out those species you listed.

Karen

Bookmark   October 17, 2005 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
plantnut2011
New Sans
I bought a new snake plant today, and while I'm familiar...
Twobedroom_jungle
Does anyone know what cultivar this is?
Got this for 5 bucks at walmart. Its about 12inches...
tlbean2004
Sansevieria from seed
Does anyone know a good method to sprout Sansevieria...
foxwichya
Hahnii Silver Marginated - rot
I bought Sans. Hahnii Silver Marginated Jan 31, and...
lme5573
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™