How to tell when a fuschia seed pod is ripe?

paulan70(5)August 12, 2009

Ok my fuschia plant is getting a ton of seed pods and alot of them are turning black but here is my question. How can I tell when the pod is ripe enough to harvest the seeds. And how do I harvest the seeds? Thanks

Paula

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Paula,
I've no experience with saving fuschia seeds. I did a search and did find this from an old post:

"Fuchsia seeds are in the berries that form after the flower has disappeared. The berries are (I'm not sure if it's always the same, but probably) reddish, maturing to black, and they look like fattish tubes. The seeds are yellow (if I remember correctly), small, but easily visible, and are inside the berries. They also can't be stored for too long (so I read) and aren't terribly easy to germinate, but not impossible, according to my research. I haven't tried germinating any yet, but I have collected them."

So I assume once they become black, the seeds are ready. You could do a test run on a few just to see what the seeds look like. If they are green or white, they are not ready for picking and wait a little longer and try again.
Hope this helps,
Remy

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
New at this....How do I harvest parsley seeds
I have a healthy flat leaf parsley plant in my herb...
realtorrose
How are most of you taking cuttings?
I am trying to take cuttings of some of the plants...
barb_roselover_in
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Recently read about a ''caffeine soak'' to get seed to germinate.
I recently read about a mention of a ''caffeine soak''...
albert_135
Need help on keeping seeds True
If I want to collect Petunia seeds to grow the following...
longknife
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™