black eyed susan question

janet_w(TX 8)August 9, 2006

Can someone post a pic what the seed pod and seeds look like.

Thank you

Janet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Black eyed Susan seed pods? The black eye is the seed head. Collect them when dry. I sometimes wear a pair of thin rubber gloves when I try to separate the seeds from the chaff, because they can prick your fingers.

I also use a pair of blunt clippers to clamp down the seed heads and twist the clippers to separate the seeds and chaff from the head. . It's easier than using your fingers to split them.

When the seed heads are really dry, it is much easier to separate the seeds from the seed head. In that case I would just rub them between my index and thumb and they would come off.

I then winnow the seeds and all to separate the seeds from their chaff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black eyed susan seeds

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 9:36PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Seed heads:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 9:38PM
janet_w(TX 8)

Thank you that does help. I wasn't sure what the seeds looked like. There's about 100 or more of those seed heads out in the flowerbed now that I know that each one is filled with tiny seeds will make it easier to gather and remove them. If you need any seeds let me know I will be happy to send you some.
Thank you
Janet

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 1:57AM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

I don't try too hard to seperate seed from chaff. I generally shade the head and the seed and some chaff fall out. I simply identify the seed as the shorter, gray/black pegs among the lighter brown chaff. I sow them with the chaff and there's no problem.

I just cut the heads in a bowl and shake the bowl. I try to remove most of the big chaff, but just bag up the rest. Works fine.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 6:25PM
janet_w(TX 8)

Now that I know where the seeds were I put the seed heads in a plastic bag and shook it then seperated the chaff using a sifter then repeated the process till no more seeds fell in the bag. Very little amounts of chaff fell through with the seeds.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
list of seeds that don't cross pollinate?
does anyone know what seeds do not cross pollinate?...
slm2118
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
seeds sprouted in paper towel show mold on paper towel
I saved my zinnia seeds last year and decided to sprout...
kimpa
confederate rose
Can anyone tell me when and how to get the seeds from...
rabbit8
Gumbo Limbo-Bursera simaruba seeds
Does anyone know where I can purchase Gumbo Limbo seeds?...
dudeabides1389
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™