Collecting Peony seeds

lakesidegardner(Zn 6 / NJ)August 22, 2009

In our garden, we have a pink peony "bush" with the flowers dried off. The flowers have left behind three seed pods per flower and are currently brown. I mean to ask, is it desirable to cut open the pods and hope that the seeds are ripe, or wait until the pods split open, then collect the seeds? Is there a surefire sign?

Thanks for helping.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
The pods will begin to split. Don't try to open them ahead of time. Good seed will be like black shiny peas. Sometimes you will see tiny seeds(I once received these in trade.) They are no good. For some reason the seed making process went awry after pod formation.
Remy

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 8:49AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

My peonies are about to bloom. How long after should I look for the pods to form? I'm assuming these are seeds I'll collect soon instead of in the fall.

Caryl

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 10:22PM
remy_gw

Hi Caryl,
Yes, it will be in summer. Just keep checking on the pods every once in awhile. As I said, they will begin to open when the seeds are ripe.
Oh I did find out that some peonies have other colored seeds so don't let an odd color throw you off.
Remy

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 11:04PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

Thanks Remy. This is my first year collecting seed so I've got tons of questions. I'll be using the search option a lot, but probably also bugging you folks on this exchange.

Caryl

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 10:28AM
remy_gw

Caryl,
Don't feel bad for bugging anyone especially after doing a search! Remember I or anyone else is answering because they want to help : )
Remy

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 8:23PM
tomva(7-central virginia)

does anyone know how long these seed are viable for and how long germination is,I'm guessing they need cold stratification.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 5:32PM
remy_gw

Tom,
I'm not sure how long they are viable for. I do know they need to be sown like 3 months before frost and left out all winter. So winter sowing in and of itself is not good enough. They are strange in that they will break dormancy during the warm part before frost, but they must go through a cold period to complete the germination process.
Remy

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 6:07PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

So Remy, I plant them about August if our last frost is Oct. and leave them out all winter? Mine won't reseed because there's mulch over weedblock underneath them, so I need to collect the seed and do them in a container.

Caryl

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 10:21AM
remy_gw

Hi Caryl,
Yes, plant them in a container. Use one big enough that the soil won't dry out between watering during those frost free months. It doesn't have to be huge, just don't use little perennial starter pots, yogurt cups, etc. Treat it like your other potted plants.
Remy

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 1:06PM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

Thanks.

Caryl

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Saving Tall Cosmo Seeds
This is my first year saving seeds and I'm wondering...
earthchildnj
list of seeds that don't cross pollinate?
does anyone know what seeds do not cross pollinate?...
slm2118
4 oclock seeds
Can someone explain to me how to collect seeds from...
charinky
Organizing Seeds
Hello, I would love to hear how people organize their...
Robin282
Tomatillo Seed Saving
I would appreciate any help re: how to save Tomatillo...
bluelytes
Sponsored Products
Mill Valley Collection 17 3/4" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Large Lyndhurst Collection Black/Ivory Rug (8' Round)
Overstock.com
Gardenia 4-Piece Bathroom Accessory Set
Signature Hardware
Accent Rug: Gustine Charcoal 2' x 3'
$51.00 | Home Depot
Pie de Salon Floor Lamp by Santa & Cole
$1,175.00 | Lumens
Yellow Collection Beehive Wasp Trap
$8.99 | zulily
Integrate Hand Woven Cushion - Zuzunaga
$195.00 | HORNE
Ming Single Gourd Vase