How Can I Harvest Seed From My Butterfly Bushes?

bonechickchris(7A/6B NJ 08731)August 20, 2008

HI there! Could someone tell me how to collect/harvest seed from Butterfly Bushes? I have several and thought It would be neat to collect seed. Are there seeds to collect from every dead head, or do they only seed in the fall? I really do not know much about them. Oh, on another topic, does anyone know if the seeds cross polinate to affect the color of the new seed. Example, I have a bi-color planted not too far away from a white, will my seeds retain the color of their parent or will it vary, or does it not matter?

Thanks again for your help! Christy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi Bonechickchris,

Butterfly bush seeds is one that can be found in the FAQ here.

I'm not sure if they would cross, or if they come true from seed. Maybe someone else here can answer that or you might try asking at The Growing From Seed Forum, or Winter Sowing.

collecting Butterfly Bush ~ Buddleia seeds It takes a long time for the seed pod to brown and split...way into the fall here. If picked b4 they split, they may end up not splitting at all. The seeds are very tiny.

Sue

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 12:45AM
stage_rat(5--Indiana Riviera)

Hi:

Definitely, the plants cross-pollinate. You'll get quite a mixed batch with your saved seeds. Many plants will bloom their first year, so you don't have to wait too long to find out what color they are.

I've read that it's easy to root cuttings of buddleia, which would guarantee the color you want. I haven't tried this yet. I have started some seeds by wintersowing. Last year's seedlings were planted out in June or July. Some bloomed last year, and all are blooming or will bloom this year.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 5:13PM
maggiedk(z7 VA)

There has never been a need for me to collect seeds as they seem to volunteer themselves everywhere. I have read that cuttings are the best to make sure you get the colors that you want. My whites and purples have cross-pollinated and the volunteers are a weak lavender that wasn't what I wanted.

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Which plants stay true to the parent?
I'm saving seeds for the first time this year. I know...
paloaltomark
Chaenomeles (Quince) shrub- info please
Hi guys! Yesterday I cracked open the fruit from my...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Seed Harvesting & Cleaning Instructions
Jonna Sudenius has made these wonderful videos on seed...
phylis
crepe myrtle seeds
does anyone have any free pods or seeds to start my...
sandym646
How lonf do these last? Will they cross pollinate?
I have many types of seeds in a cardboard box in my...
pansyloverandgrower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™