Back from Florida

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6November 13, 2011

Hello, Just got back in from Florida. I was visiting Clearwater and was looking around for my favorite plants Sansevieria. The only ones I found was Trifasciata. Seems one person gets one and shares with all the rest. Saw maybe two or three Laurentii (very rare). Was hopping to see other varieties, but no, just trifasciata. Most was in a very poor state as well as most other plants I saw. My friend asked me what I through was going wrong with his group of plants? After asking the regular questions, I noticed the water was very odd tasting and smelly. Too much chlorine or some thing. Suggested he age his water for a few days before watering his plants. Rain water is also a good source. Hope it works out for him. His area doesn't have a alternative source for watering yards as other places in Florid has. Also most of what I saw was only 1 to 2 feet tall. Very surprising? I would post pictures but most of what I took was in tropical plants.

Stush

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
norma_2006

Stuch this is a bad time for Sansevieria, Stuch water smell and taste can be cause by many things that he would have no control. It depends where he lives. If they are small perhaps the soil should be changed out, or a larger container. Did you dump a plant out to check out the roots. Are you willing to share your name and address, perhaps you may get a surprise in the mail. Norma Lewis

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 11:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Norma,
My theory of Clorox causing a variegation is now falsehood. It only kills, as with my trip to Florida. The water systems uses way too much chlorine or chloramines. All the places I went had this bad water. Had to use bottled water while there. When showering, almost pasted out due to the smell(of the water). My friends down there seems not to mind. I think this is slow poison to water plants with this concoction. Anyway maybe ageing the water may remove surface chlorine. Will not help on the chloramines side. My abused sans look great compared to all the ones I noticed growing around their park community. Water for plants should be another post. As i think this is a great cause for some to fail.
You can e-mail me for any personal information. Stush

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
New Sans, need ID please!
I purchased 3 new Sansevieria today, and need a little...
greybird_keke
My list of Sansevieria
List of my Sansevieria;Sansevieria trifasciata Small...
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
Please help, sentimental little plant dying (maybe?)
I have a relentless black thumb and was given a snake...
clow936
Sans2014
Photo album (for Sans)
Using the "project" thingie on here, I made...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Sponsored Products
Sky Blue Honeycomb Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Halogen Pharmacy Lamp No. 6450/1 by Holtkoetter
$778.00 | Lumens
Modus City II 5 Piece Leatherette Sleigh Bedroom Set in Coco
Beyond Stores
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Chelsea Red / Ivory 5 ft. 6 in.
Home Depot
Franklin Leather Loveseat - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Marlowe Hand Towel 20" x 30" - WHITE
$34.00 | Horchow
Club Woven Outdoor Rocker with Cushions, Patio Furniture
$570.00 | FRONTGATE
New Red Ahar Collection SuperKazak 2x6 Hand Knotted Wool Oriental Area Rug H5943
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™