Propagating Salvia

obxmgOctober 29, 2006

I have been trying to propagate Pineapple Sage but it gets a white film, withers and dies. I assume the white is mold but not sure. I root them in moist Miracle Grow potting soil usually covered with a clear plastic bag to keep soil moist. The plants in my yard are very vigorous.

Betty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annette68_gw

Hi Betty,

Try putting a small cut in the node that is underground, or check your vigorous plants underneath, mine have parts that have aerial roots:)

Good Luck,

Annette

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 8:37PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

Perhaps you are over-doing the humidity. I can usually root Pineapple Sage and many other sages in moist soil kept in a shady outdoor location. I wonder if the bag is creating conditions so humid that mold is growing. You live in a pretty humid climate, so try without the bag.

As annette68 wrote, Pineapple Sage often sprouts aerial roots on low-hanging branches, and these branches are easily rooted - they already have root cells waiting to grow. Many times you can find low branches that are actually rooted into the ground and these can be cut from the main plant and transplanted with a small shovelful of soil around the roots.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 11:10PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Good advice. All I can add is that pineapple sage is usually easy to root. If you are going to try cuttings without aerial roots, use firm green stems for the part you are going to plunge into your rooting medium. Stems with gray bark are harder to root. Cut off flowering tops, since these draw off too much resources. Without them, more energy will go into establishing roots.

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 8:56AM
jimmyjojo

Betty,

The wet soil is the problem. Go to (My Page), I put some information on how to rooting cuttings there, your welcome to it.

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 12:03PM
jxa44

great instructions jimmyjojo! i really like the pictures.

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 8:55PM
tonic_man

Good job, well done jimmyjojo. Especially with the good pictures. We need more of this kind of information in these forums.

Bookmark   November 5, 2006 at 7:44AM
jimmyjojo

Thanks, the method works pretty well. You have to change the mix and clean the trays though if you start getting diseased black stems. Feel free to pass the information on.

Bookmark   November 5, 2006 at 8:54PM
hummersteve

Just came from your page on propagating salvias. Most informative and great pics. Question, you say after the cutting have roots an inch or two long, but I would find this hard to know when once the roots start , you certainly dont want to pull out the cutting just to ck. Im propagating some african violets right now and I know they have roots for I given it the tug test, so I know what you are referring to there. Great pics thou, but where do you get the seed trays from. I have pots from about 2 and half size and up. I pretty much started what Im doing in the dead of winter and no rooting hormone or seed mat. I will be checking WM later on to see if they have it.

Bookmark   December 4, 2006 at 6:51PM
More Discussions
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™